Saturday, October 16, 2010

Listening to Drummers

On my way to the grocery store, I walked past a college drum squad practicing on the football field. I half closed my eyes, without walking into anything, and just tried to hear the beat and feel it in my body. No small task. I realized that being attentive to the drumming was a wonderful metaphor to truly being attentive to the individuals I interact with.

May I truly listen without judgment to each person’s unique cadence.
May I hear the deeper meaning that lies beneath the words that are spoken and the tiny gestures that are made.
May I sense the feelings behind the speech and actions.
May I be aware of the beliefs that drive the rhythm of each person’s life.
May I see the beauty in each soul that I meet and allow myself to be truly blessed by their presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment