Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thinking Outside the Box

For a few hours yesterday I tried to clean the leaves out of a seemingly inaccessible rain gutter behind a clump of three 50 year old bushes and above an awning. With my “listen to a different drummer” semi-circular canals, I couldn’t trust my balance enough to climb on the roof. So I trimmed the bushes on three sides of the clump using several different cutting implements, tried different ladders, and used multiple tricks from my martial arts training. After some whimpering and a grilled cheese sandwich, I went back outside and cut a path between two of the shrubs. It doesn’t look pretty and the shrubs will need to be seriously reshaped—long overdue, but it worked. I realized I was focused on overcoming the problems, rather than finding a solution. The whole experience was a metaphor. The shrubs were my box. The solution lied in breaking open the box. We all have our “boxes.”

When the tried and true
No longer work for you
That’s your cue
To do something out of the blue.

A new paradigm you may find
Gives you a renewed peace of mind.
Something unusual to try
So no longer you cry.

You form thoughts outside the box
Challenges you can now out fox.

When people say “no,” “you won’t,” “you can’t”
Make those obstacles look like mounds built by an ant.

Instead of sticking with convention
Make it your intention
To go in a new direction
With success now build a connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment