Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Vulnerability

In the last few weeks I have seen the vulnerable sides of different people. A friend shared her poetry with me. Another friend confided that she wanted to find a soul mate. A bus driver had a small collage on a clipboard, placed discretely where he could glance at it from time to time when he was stopped at a light. It included pictures of his family, Martin Luther King, Jesus, his dog, his home, and President Obama—one of the weeks that Obama was on very, very few people’s good list. Part of me felt sarcastic, but at the same time I could almost see the strength that the collage gave to the driver as he went about his job that day. I realized that each of these experiences was a soul moment for me.

Teach me, Divine Creator, how to hold a person tenderly in my consciousness. Help me to see that they are surrounded by your protection and infused by your power and strength. Help me to look with curiosity and awe at the unique path they have chosen for this lifetime. Help me to appreciate their talents and abilities, and yet see them as beings who are continuing to grow in the sun of your love. Help me to see that any cynicism I feel is only a misguided attempt to protect myself against my own vulnerability. Help me to see that we are all one, a part of your wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment